Monday, June 7, 2010

Puerto Vallarta vs Lake Chapala

by Kristina Morgan

This is the third in my series comparing popular retirement destinations. So far I have compared Lake Chapala vs. Hawaii and Lake Chapala vs. San Miguel. Now I take on Puerto Vallarta and share why even though I love the beach, we settled on Lake Chapala.

Both of these locations are jewels in the state of Jalisco’s crown and are within five hours drive of each other. I ran into my friend, Pat Carrol, today and he said he spends winters at Puerto Vallarta and summers at Lake Chapala. My family also enjoys occasional jaunts to PV, as it is known here.  The road can get a bit harrowing and traffic can get quite backed up if you get stuck behind a semi chugging along. However, they are working on a highway that is supposed to be finished for the Pan AM games in 2011 that will cut the drive time down to two or three hours, which will be great!

I love the beach. I love coconuts and palm trees and watching the sunset over the ocean but when it came right down to it, I didn’t choose to live there. Making that choice was very personal to me and so keeping in mind that it’s all about what makes the most sense for you, these were our main reasons...

Read More Green

No comments: