Saturday, June 5, 2010

Crime and Safety in Lake Chapala, Mexico

We live in Lake Chapala, south of Guadalajara and a few hours drive from Puerto Vallarta. My husband I have lived here for many years and we’re raising three of our children here and one of the primary reasons is because it is so safe. Clearly, there are facts to back up my feeling.
>If you look at the NationMaster's Crime Per Capita, the U.S. is #8 on the list of high crime and Mexico is down at #39.

To help put this in perspective, Christine Delsol writes, “Everything is relative.

Would knowing that Miami has the highest violent crime rate in the United States keep you from going to the Grand Canyon, or even Disney World, in the same state?

A study just published by RE/MAX Investment Properties indicates that major tourist zones in Mexico are up to 26 times safer than some tourist zones in the United States. Clearly, they want to sell real estate and that is their interest in doing the study....but they also sell real estate in the U.S. so I have to wonder if their study had any adverse affects on their sales in the cities they mention below.

Their study reveals that the state of Baja California Sur – home to Los Cabos, La Paz and Loreto – has a homicide rate 26 times lower than Orlando, 18 times lower than Miami, 17 times lower than West Palm Beach, 12 times lower than Tampa and half that of Honolulu.

In addition, the study points out that Mexican tourist zones are even safer when the homicide rates are compared with major cities in the United States and Canada. For example, Baja California Sur has a homicide rate 39 times lower than Washington D.C., 19 times lower than Houston, 17 times lower than Dallas, 7 times lower than the city of New York and 3 times lower than Vancouver.

Lake Chapala is one of the safest places I have ever been and I didn’t live in big cities North of the Border. Greeley, Colorado certainly doesn’t top the crime lists anywhere but it was far more dangerous to live there with murders, rapes and armed robberies reported every week than it has ever been here in the Chapala/Ajijic area of Mexico.

Focus on Mexico recently sent out a survey to find out what other residents had to say about crime and safety in the Lake Chapala/Ajijic area, and these are a few comments that seem to embody the general sentiments of the people who responded:

Clay McAdam:
I would like to share my impressions and feelings from the perspective of a retired Edmonton police officer who has chosen to live permanently in Mexico. We feel perfectly safe walking in the streets of Ajijic at any time of day or night. It never ceases to amaze me when walking down the street and being greeted with an ‘hola’ or ‘buenos dias,’ by people whom we do not know. Not since I was child in a small town in southwestern Saskatchewan have I been greeted in this manner.

The North American news media has taken a situation that is occurring in the border areas and is blowing it totally out of proportion as far as I am concerned. My advice is to come to Lake Chapala and see what it is like to live in a happy and enjoyable environment.

Jerry Pounds:
My personal feeling is that Lake Chapala is as safe a place as one will find anywhere.

I decided the second day that I was in Mexico (with you wonderful folks at FOCUS on MEXICO) that I would spend as much of the rest of my life in the Lake Chapala area as possible. Two years later I think of myself as Mexican/American and am very happy with my decision. As soon as I can finish business obligations in the states, I will live full time in Ajijic and have absolutely no fear of violence in Mexico. In summary, Lake Chapala is much closer to Andy Griffith's Mayberry, as far as safety goes, than any place I have been in the states, in Europe and the rest of Mexico.

Lori Truly:
I would be happy to comment on the "crime" (or lack there of) in the Lake Chapala area. First of all when my husband and I lived here in 1997, we had no children and I asked my husband “if we ever have children, can we raise them here?" He said sure and chuckled, because we never thought the dream would come true. Well, it has, and the children love it! Why did we want to raise our children here? The safety. Is there petty theft? Sure, like anywhere, lock your doors when you leave the house, and don't be careless with your belongings, and you'll be O.K. just like any "nice" neighborhood in the states. I feel so much more secure her, than I do in the States now. When I visit ther,e I am nearly uncomfortable. Always looking over my shoulder, making sure my children are safe, and always holding on to my pocket book. Not here!!!! I just love it here, and have NO desire to go back north at all.

Sheila Turner:
I have always lived in large cities in the U.S., and I am no stranger to crime. Here, I live alone and there has been no time that I have felt insecure or fearful. All I can say is "It's a great life."

In summary, I have no idea if the American media is just lazy or if they have an agenda, but I cannot sit idly by and allow all of Mexico to be painted with such a broad brush. Lake Chapala is, indeed, safe.

No comments: