Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Dia de los Muertos Deciphered

Day of the Dead Customs in Mexico are Very Much Alive
by Kristina Morgan, www.FocusonMexico.com

I want to preface this by saying I do not enjoy morbidity or anything macabre…I avoid horror movies like the plague and I really don't care for scary costumes on Halloween and my children have never been allowed to don the traditional witch, vampire or ghost costumes so it has taken me a good number of years to work toward having any interest in Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead), which is one of Mexico's most unique and widely celebrated holidays. In fact, people come from all over the world to experience Day of the Dead in Mexico.

From the outside looking in, Dia de los Muertos appears to be all of those things that I just described not liking.

After 10 years of living here in Chapala, I finally caved in and decided to see what this was all about from a purely scholarly perspective. I left my pre-conceived ideas and judgments at home and brought my husband, three kids and a camera and prepared to be a spectator.

Read More Green

No comments: